Okay all my Gunners and Expeditionary Designated Marksman! Do you know this Kestrel? YOU need this REVIEW. READ………..
When I was in Expeditionary Designated Marksman school, during range time we had to continually fill out the data sheet for our rifle shots we took (Doping sheets). On these doping sheets for those of you who do not know what I am talking about, has fillable boxes on an all-weather sheet of paper that collects information about the series of shots you just fired for that range, (distance, range, round, area you hit, humidity, altitude, wind, wind direction and etc.) for later use. But in order to fill the information out we had a little hand held weather station that could give all the information that we would need, it was called, “Kestrel 5700 Elite Meter w/ applied ballistics.”
Kestrel 5700 Elite Meter has a built in digital compass, also calculates crosswind and headwind/tailwind with reference to a user-set target heading, and stores the information along with all the other environmental readings. Kind of reminds you of the Kestrel 4500, huh? Well the Kestrel 5700 is the updated version of the discontinued Kestrel 4500.! Yep a little crazy but it is true!!
The Kestrel 5700 Elite Meter is available in many colors. All 5000 series meters will have both a bright green backlight, which is great for even high sunlight conditions, and a night-vision preserving backlight. The red night vision (NV) backlight incorporates optical filter to reduce overall brightness and minimize blue and green spectrum light to preserve night vision.
The Kestrel applied ballistics meter combines sophisticated environmental sensing features with long-range shooting ballistics information in one hand-held device. The built in Applied Ballistics software provides all of the following:
- The accurate and trusted ‘Litz’ library of G1 and G7 referenced Ballistic Coefficients (BC’s).
- Custom drag curve modeling; helpful in engaging targets beyond the supersonic range of the bullet.
- Ballistic Calibration (truing) feature allows you to ‘train’ the solver based on actual bullet impact.
- PC Loader software; build firearm profiles on your computer and transfer them via wire or Bluetooth
This thing is awesome isn’t it! Check out the specification’s on the Kestrel:
KESTREL 5700 ELITE METER WITH APPLIED BALLISTICS
- Black, Tan, Olive, or Blaze Orange:
- With Link in Black, Tan, Olive, or Blaze Orange: (Vane Mount NOT included)
The new Kestrel Elite Weather Meter with Applied Ballistics which has been referred to as the Kestrel 5700, is an updated version from the Discontinued Kestrel 4500 Applied Ballistics Meter in November of 2015. That being said… functionally, you’re not getting more environmental or ballistic features. So don’t feel the need to upgrade unless you find the other exciting changes necessary.
What’s new with the Kestrel Elite Weather Meter with Applied Ballistics over the previous Kestrel 4500 Applied Ballistics series:
- Bluetooth LINK to Smartphones / Mobel / Android / IOS
- Works with Bushnell CONX Range Finder
- Takes 1 AA battery (instead of 2 AAA)
- Battery door is in the back, sealed away from the motherboard, should your battery leak as was common with all the 4000 series
- Improved high resolution screen for any lighting (even sunlight) and easy on your eyes.
- Intuitive user-interface screen navigation
- Multiple Languages: English, French, German, Spanish
- Scratch and breakage-resistant window
- All meters include both options of Red (NV – Night Vision) & White backlights.
- Slightly bigger, not really noticeable difference. Fits same cases.
If you select the Bluetooth Kestrel LINK model, you’ll want to download the Kestrel Link Ballistics app to your smart phone to load your guns / ammo to the meter. The new Kestrel Meters with Bluetooth include the software necessary to communicate wirelessly at a range of up to 100 feet with a clear line of site (walls or obstacles will effect this range).
As you can see the Kestrel 5700 Elite Meter Weather station has everything you need to take with you in the field. It is light weight and small enough to fit in any pocket. I do recommend this weather station, I have used and abused this product in the field and it has never let me down. Well, you will see in, “Part 2.”
Stop over to Kestrel’s website and SEE all the stuff you will need. GO Sniper!
Until next time………………….